Vision Setting for Organizations
Thank you for making us a better newspaper
Los Angeles, California
Faced with changing demographics and the decrease in newspaper sales, the President and CEO of the Los Angeles Times asked me to facilitate the Los Angeles Times senior management team and help the company develop a new vision for the future.
The initiative consisted of the following phases.
First working with the management team of the Los Angeles Times, I helped them develop and then come to consensus on their vision for the newspaper five years into the future. After this two-day session was completed, I trained members of the LA Times organizational development team to deliver a series of Vision Building town-hall type meetings throughout the organization. The results of these meetings were a collection of vision statements and vision pictographs that were displayed in the headquarters of the LA Times. Once all of the visions had been gathered from various parts of the organization, I facilitated a session with representatives of the various divisions and the senior staff in which the final vision for the LA Times was adopted.
- Vision setting session with the senior management team
- Vision development sessions with members of the entire LA Times organization
- Sharing visions developed by members of the LA Times organization
- Using input from the visions developed by members of the LA Times, senior management developed the new vision for the newspaper’s future.
Vision Statement Defines with Clarity and Dynamism our Parish and its Future
Buffalo, New York
One of the parishioners in a leadership role at St. Joseph University Parish, after taking one of my graduate classes in Creative Studies at SUNY Buffalo State made the parish council, the governing body of the church, aware of my work in creativity and my work in helping organizations set a vision for their future.
This vision development work followed a similar pattern as the work that was done with the LA Times, but instead of members of the organizational development staff delivering the town-hall vision setting meetings, students, under my guidance, in one of my graduate classes in creative studies conducted the meetings. A similar format was followed.
- Vision development session with members of the parish council
- Town hall meetings conducted with members of the parish to develop their vision of the future of St. Joseph University Parish
- Vision sharing session with the parish council
- Development of the final vision using input from parishioners town hall meetings.