Creativity is not just for artists, it is for everyone.
Information learned in creative studies classes can help improve lives and work. That first took shape in SUNY Buffalo State’s Creative Studies Project in the late 1960s and has developed in the years since. It’s an example that highlights to ability to learn creativity, countering the claim that creativity is a trait that individuals are born with.
In an article for The Smart Manager, I bust five myths about the creative process:
- Only a few people are creative, and they are artists and musicians
- Creativity is unpredictable. You have to wait for a great idea to hit you
- You cannot learn to be creative. You are either born creative of you are not
- All you need is one good idea
- You need all of the experts to solve a tough problem